The Instructor of Sciences is responsible for all aspects of supporting and overseeing approximately 15 student tutors at the Academic Success Center (ASC). This involves offering tutoring sessions; recruiting, hiring, and training student tutors for the Center; coordinating with science professors to plan and implement supplementary workshops; observing and supporting student tutors; maintaining the Center’s booking software; assisting students in booking appointments at the Center.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides and conducts tutorial sessions subject-specific training in mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
- Coordinates with the English Department to provide training for tutors who support writing.
- Coordinates with instructors to identify the concepts in math, physics, and chemistry that students are struggling with and communicates those needs to the tutors.
- Participates in tutor evaluation, assessment of student academic achievement and modifies tutoring sessions and workshops in accordance with assessment feedback.
- Maintains and enforces established policies for student use of the ASC and keeps the web page up to date.
- Oversees the appointment-booking software, reports problems with the software to the software provider, assists tutors and students in using the software.
- Assesses student satisfaction with the Center as well as student progress in courses and makes changes as needed to better serve students.
- Oversees the physical space of the Center, ensuring it is only used by tutors and students with appointments; notifies facilities regarding necessary maintenance.
- Posts and maintains regular office hours to ensure accessibility to tutors and students for advisement and consultation.
- Offers supplementary review sessions to large groups of students who require additional assistance with studying for math and science courses, especially prior to exams.
- Prepares an annual report containing data about the numbers of students using the Center, level of student satisfaction on surveys, and other key information.
- Prepares specialized versions of those reports as necessary for accreditation purposes.
- Participates in evaluative process for self, department, and the Academic Success Center.
- Conducts independent professional research or readings in student support to refine and improve the quality of tutoring services offered.
- Checks tutors’ timesheets against the number of sessions booked according to the online software, verifies accuracy of hours worked, and delivers signed timesheets to the finance department each month.
- Contributes to the university through various committees, university services and social responsibilities.
- Performs all duties in a professional, effective, and confidential manner.
- Performs all other related duties as required or assigned by the Manager.
Education & Experience
Please upload CV in ENGLISH ONLY
- Bachelor’s degree in the Sciences or equivalent from an accredited institute.
- Minimum of three (03) years of experience in teaching, academic achievement working in student support services or related fields.